Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rainy Day part 2

Today I had a fond memory from my childhood. My mom used to make homemade play dough. There were 6 of us kids, so the batches were huge. I didn't think anything of this memory until today. I was making the same play dough recipe and the smell hit me. The smell of salt, flour and alum. It is not necessarily a pleasant smell, but today it was a great reminiscent smell. Thanks goes out to my mother who taught me how to make play dough and pass this memory on to my children. You are the greatest mom in the world. I love you.






The recipe is as follows for anyone who is interested.

2 cups flour
2 cups water
2 T oil
2 T powdered alum
1 cup salt
2 T vanilla (this is an improvement for the smell sency 20 years ago)
food coloring


Mix all dry ingredients. Add oil and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until reaching the consistency of dry mashed potatoes. Remove from heat, let cool enough to knead. Add vanilla and food coloring while Kneading. The dough can be separated to make different colors. Store in ziploc bags in fridge, can last a long time without drying out.




4 comments:

  1. We have always has carpet right by the kitchen area, so even the "thought" of playdough was a "NO, NO", but now we have hard wood and the fake tile the thought can slowly come back to me. :)

    thanks for providing the recipe. I didn't want to have to dig through my preschool tubs to get it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look beautiful! Your little boy loves this activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it interesting how smell can so literally take us back in a time warp. Thanks for the validation that some of the mom effort was appreciated. Keep this in mind when you have those thankless days and you may have a few in your life as a young mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was just thinking of homemade playdough the other day. thanks for posting this lisa! by the way, i miss the girls. Next May just seems too far away!:)

    ReplyDelete